Pathfinder is Nissan’s mid-size, next-generation SUV, more properly – though less frequently – called a CUV; a crossover utility vehicle. Now in its fourth generation, the 2014 Nissan Pathfinder has a long-established reputation for providing drivers and passengers with a first-rate suite of mechanical, safety and entertainment features.
Successor to the Station Wagon
The CUV concept is intended to combine the best assets of both traditional SUVs and passenger vehicles, while riding a valuable market segment of the SUV’s perceived disadvantages, most conspicuously initial buy-in cost and relatively poor fuel economy. Built using passenger cars’ unibody construction, rather than trucks’ body-on-frame platforms, handling reminiscent of ordinary cars is blended with large cabins and high centers of gravity.
For some, the best of both worlds: the vehicle seats seven adults comfortably, offers best-in-class towing capacity and best-in-class passenger volume, while returning high miles-per-gallon figures for a vehicle of its size. Choosing Pathfinder is easy but choosing must-have features may be a bit more challenging.
1. Features by Model
Having decided that a CUV is for you, and that Nissan Pathfinder is the CUV, the next decision is to choose the best-suited model/trim package. Two-wheel and all-wheel drive configurations are manufactured, with the latter available at extra cost. Purchasers can base their trim decisions as to which primary model will best suit their requirements on the following overview of standard features.
The entry-level S model is delivered with:
- 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
- Drive-Assist advanced display
- EZ Flex latch-and-glide seat movement
- Triple-zone automatic temperature control
The mid-range SV adds:
- Bluetooth hands-free phone system
- Intelligent door/ignition key
- Rear view monitor
- Roof rails
Top-of-the-range SL also delivers:
- Fog lights
- Leather-paneled seats (excluding third row)
- Power liftgate
- Remote engine start technology
2. Sound and Vision
New for the 2014 model year, the SL Tech Package, which may be the ultimate in user-centric onboard electronics:
- An eight-inch color touchscreen monitor
- Bluetooth streaming audio
- Bose premium audio system (complete with 13-speakers)
- Nissan’s Navigation System (programmed with Zagat’s Restaurant Survey package)
- XM NavTraffic and NavWeather (if you also buy the relevant SiriusXM subscription)
- Voice recognition
3. Bird’s Eye View
Nissan’s parking camera system can be upgraded to what the factory has dubbed its Around View facility. Four separate cameras deliver a composite, 360-degree image of the outside of the vehicle to its touch-screen monitor. This creates an impression of viewing the Pathfinder from above, allowing easier maneuvering into tight parking spots, confirming the CUV’s position within parking space lines and road markings, and offers obvious security benefits to boot.
4. Playing the Platinum Card
Pathfinder is also offered as a Platinum edition (effectively a better-than-top trim). This elegant, sophisticated vehicle features:
- 20-inch alloy wheels (exclusive to the Platinum)
- Bluetooth streaming audio/DVD playback to front and mid-row passengers
- Driver memory functions
- Cooled front seats
- Hard-drive-based navigation system with an eight-in touchscreen
- Heated steering wheel
- Power tilt-telescopic steering wheel
- A pre-wired 120-volt outlet
5. Perhaps the Ultimate Accessory
As of 2013, Pathfinder has been available as a hybrid. The vehicle twins an electric motor (powered by a Lithium-ion battery so compact it fits under the third-row seating, without taking up any cargo or passenger space) with a supercharged 2.5-liter, four-cylinder gasoline engine. The result delivers 250 net horsepower, virtually indistinguishable from the regular Pathfinder’s 3.5-liter V6 engine (260 horsepower).
Drivers across the east-central Pennsylvania area, who have additional questions, can drop in at Montgomeryville Nissan, 991 Bethlehem Pike, Montgomeryville, PA, or contact Steve Bernadino, Director of Operations, via the dealership’s Contact Us Page. Despite very active sales performance, the dealership strives to keep a full selection of Pathfinders on the forecourt for inspection and test drives.